FIND YOUR VOICE WITH TECHNOLOGY: LAS VEGAS
A MULTI-CITY TOUR TO INSPIRE NEW THOUGHT LEADERS IN TECHNOLOGY
August 18, 2015
Tuesday, August 18th at the Caesars Palace in hot Vegas (104 degrees to be exact) I had the opportunity to open the Wearable Tech Expo during my session, “How to make your wearable app relevent?” I’ve spoken at numerous conferences over the last few months but this event had me excited and nervous. Why? This event in particular focuses on the new journey I am taking, wearable technology and product design. I’ve been in technology for years working on website design, graphics, and mobile apps. But deciding that my second company would be in wearable tech was an interesting conclusion. I knew my second company would focus on develping technology but I was thinking a really good mobile app or web platform… Now I am creating all three: hardware, mobile app, and web platform.
During my session “How to make your wearable app relevent?” I explored: Each industry is different, and creating wearable tech with industry specific functions is important. There is a need for functional, market-specific wearable devices that target specific user groups, how to identify those groups, and how to effectively create wearable products that will succeed for them.
The first question I asked was “Why is a Relevant App Important? And followed up with the answer, According to the Nielsen Company, “Today’s app stores each may host well over a million apps, but consumers only use roughly 26 or 27 of these per month, according to new data from Nielsen out today.”
I suggested four steps to make your wearable app relevant:
1. START WITH DESIGN
- First step, the design of the wearable.
- Simplicity is the key when creating a wearable.
- Greater success rates can occur with wearables, when companies have a customizable design and find innovative ways to disguise the technology.
2. BE INDUSTRY-FOCUSED
- Fitness and Health
- Health and fitness is one of the first industries to adopt wearables in the form of bands.
- Wearables could change health and fitness (Real-Time Health Advisors)
–Medical alerts for low blood sugar or to seek medical treatment with information held in the app.
–App partnerships with fitness companies such as LA Fitness to create useful app to keep track of workouts and sign up for classes.
3. CREATE APPS TO WEAR
Using companies such as Microsoft as a reference to create wearable apps not only compatible to your device but others. Microsoft has created Outlook and Yammer for the Apple Watch and One Drive and One Note for Android Wear.
4. THINK BEYOND THE DEVICE, THE FUTURE OF WEARABLES
- Research shows about a third of owners of smart wearables abandon these devices after six months. ~Endeavor Partners (Global Strategy Firm).
- A relevant app sparks new engagement.
- Relevant content is created based on a variety of factors.
–The big data obtained by the wearable, allows the mobile application to predict the user’s needs, their interest and communication patterns.
- START WITH DESIGN– Simplicity
- BE INDUSTRY-FOCUSED – Change the industry
- CREATE APPS TO WEAR– Compatibility
- THINK BEYOND THE DEVICE–Companies need to think about the future of using wearables: Relevant content
After my morning session, I enjoyed the day listening to successful companies and their ideas on the future of wearable technology. From sessions like the “Sound of Wearables to “Safety First” the Wearable Tech Expo was the place to be for all things hardware and idea development.
Picking up my badge right before my session.
Quick photo in front of the Step and Repeat.
Group picture with the attendees afer my session.
Pictured with one of my favorite speakers throughout the expo, Beau Wilder-Vice President, Innovation Waves and New Products for Plantronics.
Pictured with another one of my favorite speakers throughout the expo, Tiffany Polmateer-Chief of Staff for Spring Mobile.